Monday, June 27, 2011

Macaroons

My friend Diane was very kind to share this recipe for the BEST macaroons! I have to hide them from my kids if I want them to last more than an hour! I recently asked her for the recipe again since I had misplaced mine and when she told me she couldn't find hers either I was concerned. That is, until I looked way back into my texts and found the ingredients list she had sent me once. We were able to remember the rest from there. So, enjoy this awesome recipe which was almost lost forever!

Macaroons

2 1/2 cups grated coconut
1 cup cashews, finely ground (I have had bad luck grinding my own without it turning into nut butter- so I prefer to purchase it ground. It's called meal- like almond meal or cashew meal. While on the topic, you can use nuts other than cashew.)
1 cup sugar
3 egg whites
butter

Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually add sugar, allowing it to dissolve a little at a time into the egg whites. It should end with a nice glossy appearance. Gently fold in by hand the coconut and ground nuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a cookie sheet. Touch each top with a little butter, this ensures a nice golden top. Bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!


 

No comments: