Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Chicken Curry Pasta Salad


One day shortly after we moved here, I found a curry chicken salad at one of the high end grocery stores in our town and I just had to have some! It was amazing! Too bad the price wasn't- I don't remember the exact price but I know that it was high enough that I wasn't going to buy it again. I also wasn't going to live without having this pasta salad either so I created a close replica of the original so that I can indulge (financially) guilt free whenever I want!
I can even usually get my kids to eat this- if your kids don't like any spiciness in foods then try to find a mild curry and you're set!

Oh, and by the way, this is makes an awesome picnic item. I like to make this often in the summer- just pack individual portions in containers and you have a ready to go meal for anywhere- I even take it to the pool!
Chicken Curry Pasta Salad

2 large chicken breasts
½ cup yogurt
2 tsp. curry

 10-12 oz. pasta- I use Campanelle by Barilla
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. curry
½ cup yogurt
½ cup mayonnaise
1 medium red pepper
5 oz. can sliced  water chestnuts
½ cup golden raisins
salt & pepper

In a medium container, put 1/4 cup yogurt in the bottom, top with 1 tsp. curry, lay the chicken breasts on the mixture, lightly salt & pepper, top with another tsp. curry and 1/4 cup yogurt. Marinade in fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Sear chicken in a medium pan drizzled with olive oil until cooked through. Place on a board to cool, cut and place in a large bowl.
Place 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a small pan, add 2 Tablespoons curry, warm on low-med for 2 minutes to release flavor & aroma.
Cook pasta al dente, drain, LIGHTLY rinse but do not cool it too much & place in bowl with chicken. Add curry from pan, 1/2 cup yogurt and 1/2 cup mayonnaise, stir well. Add red pepper, raisins & water chestnuts. Salt & pepper to taste. Stir well.
Place in fridge overnight.
 In the morning, take out pasta, stir, taste & add more yogurt if necessary to re-moisten.
Happy Cooking!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Works well when traveling by train also. You don't have to be fussy about the refrigeration.