Thursday, March 8, 2012

Quilted Centerpiece

Since I just shared with you the paper flowers, I thought it was a good time to show how to make the quilted centerpiece that they are sitting on in this picture. When I was planning the decorations for the Golden Book Shower (I'll show you the finished shower soon), I wanted to have a simple but cute centerpiece that really felt like it belonged with the shower. Since the invitations were blue and yellow (thank you Anneliese from Aesthetic Nest) and more of the shower was yellow than anything else, it seemed only logical to make the centerpiece yellow based.  

I was seriously surprised when I ended up whipping this out in about a half an hour! It was definitely easy enough that I would make more in the future if I ever just need a little something extra in my house or a party for decoration.
First off, I have to tell you that when I decided to whip this up, I didn't have super high expectations because although it seemed easy in theory, I hadn't done anything quilted before (I know that the fabric is not quilted together but the top stitching is quilted.)

 I started by deciding on the size of the centerpiece and then cutting two pieces of fabric and one piece of Warm & Natural batting. Then layer the pieces with the batting down first and then laying the two pieces of fabric (right sides facing each other) on top of it.
I found a large bowl that would serve as a tracing tool for the ends and traced a curve on with a fadeout marker. Pin the fabrics together and sew around the edge with a 1/4 inch seam, leaving 3 inches open on one of the flat sides for turning.
Next, I trimmed the two edges with pinking shears (or you can just clip around the curve but I find the pinking shears a lot faster.) Turn right side out, iron flat and sew around the entire edge of the centerpiece making sure to sew the opening closed.

 Personally, I have fallen IN LOVE with my walking foot and use it with anything that has ANY bulk to it to keep the fabrics from shifting. My sister-in-law would just tell me to pin it more but I have already confessed before that I can be a lazy sewer and find this much faster!
This next part was really fun! With my walking foot still on, I started against the side and just started sewing in a crazy pattern. I thought that I would end up trapping myself somewhere in the pattern but it was easier than I thought to keep going and covering the entire piece in one long crazy line.
To finish, just wash and dry the centerpiece and it comes out with that really neat quilted look!

Happy Sewing!



No comments: