Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

Back in my "youth" I worked at a number of phenomenal restaurants and caterers (and occasionally still do!) One of my favorite things that I looked forward to when the weather turned cooler was a wonderful collection of soul-satisfying autumn fare.  My favorite was always squash soup. Since I now am a stay at home mother, I am constantly searching for recipes that replicate food that I regularly enjoyed in my prior life. When I recently found the blog Our Best Bites, I FINALLY found a recipe for Butternut squash soup that satisfies my cravings. It truly feels like velvet on the tongue.  Make it. Try it. You'll love it!



Butternut Squash Soup

1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 Cup sliced carrots (about 1 med carrot)
2 stalks celery, diced
1 Cup diced onion
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 medium butternut squash, cubed (about 4 cups)
1 medium potato, diced (about 2 Cups)
32 oz chicken broth (that’s one box/carton)
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon dried sage
1 pinch cayenne pepper


In a large stock pot, heat olive oil and butter. When butter is melted add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic.
Saute for 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add the squash, potato, sage, salt, red pepper, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer. Simmer with the lid on for 30-40 minutes or until everything is tender. Check a piece of squash and also a piece of celery and potato to make sure they area fork tender. Stir in 1 Tablespoon brown sugar.
Use an immersion blender, or transfer soup to a regular blender and puree until smooth.

Sara from Our Best Bites recommends topping with parsley or sour cream.
However, from personal experience and preference, I topped with a drizzle of olive oil and grated Parmesan cheese. Try it this way. The drizzle of olive oil seems unnecessary but it adds an amazing roundness to the soup.

Serves 6-8.

No comments: